Sunday, March 29, 2009

Lazy Sunday


We're all home in one piece. I'll be adding to the blog over the next few days as more athletes send me things they would like to add.

winning poem ::
Ode to Gulf Shores
I love you a lot,
I hope every year that it will be hot,
That wish however is sadly in vain,
As my hopes of sunshine drown with the rain.

I love you so much,
Al Hoekstra tells me you owe your existence to the Dutch
Calvin Al says we built you from scratch.
And ever since then we have been so attached.

Down from Grand Rapids we all make the trek,
Snowstorms in Arkansas, what the heck!
500, 400, 4, 3, 2–oh how my trip is not complete without you.

Sprinters at 10; was it hurdlers at noon,
I hope Baker will call with the answer soon.

Devos in the morning, then get to the bus,
If you're not on by 10, please do not cuss.
Just join us with distance, they know the way,
How many miles to the track? you will say.

Better make it to Scoops at least once per trip,
Lick up your ice cream so it won't drip.
Join us at Lambert's and eat some throwed bread.

Now it's off stuffing our faces until we feel dead,
the outlets to get us some great deals,
the same shoes as coach Kim, what a steal!

Talent night’s my favorite, always a scream.
Ask Sarah Orendorff–Jed was a dream!
Toasters, guitars, movies and what not.
The Minnesotian track jackets–now they were hot!

Back on the bus after trainin' all week.
Saturday's run in the rain makes my shoes reek.
18 hours on the bus seems quite a while,
But oh Gulf Shores, how you make me smile.

-Kristen Van Sickel '09 (Trinty Christian HS, Pittsburgh PA)

another entry ::
I used to run the 400,
I used to run a minute race,
I used to spring till I was dead,
but now I'm here to pace,

(chorus)
Oh the times they are a changin'
I'm retiring my uniform
I'm joining now the coaching ranks,
With Diemer, Kim and Norm

I used to wear an inner tube,
and lead the freshman games,
but now I try to stand and watch
and merely learn their names

(chorus)
I used to run the 4 by 4,
but now I'll time your split
and shout along the backstretch
'till your racing fires lit

(chorus)
Yes, I'm trying something new now
I'm taking a new approach
So let me help you where I can
as your new assistant coach

That sounds kind of depressing when I type it, but I am not depressed. Running sucks sometimes, and I don't miss all the throwing up... The part that does suck is that I have to wear a watch. That feels weird.

-coach Joel Baker '08 (Kalamazoo Christian HS)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Norm, and everyone who contributed to the blog! GO KNIGHTS!!!! - Mel VB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norm, where did you get my entry? You little stinker!

    ReplyDelete